Nominating a deserving teacher is easy. There are three simple steps to nominating a teacher:
Step 1: Complete the short nomination form with the teacher’s and nominator’s names and contact information.
Step 2: Answer these four questions:
- How does this teacher demonstrate passion and commitment to the teaching profession?
- How does he or she demonstrate innovation in the classroom?
- How does he or she demonstrate creativity in the classroom?
- How does he or she involve parents and families in their students’ education?
Each of the four questions is limited to answers of 100 words each, for a total entry length not to exceed 400 words.
Step 3: OPTIONAL: Add a video or photograph that show the teacher in action. Limit videos to no more than 3 minutes.
Nominations must be received by midnight on February 13, 2015
Nominations are judged by a blue-ribbon panel. Nominations will be reviewed and judged by a distinguished panel of professional educators:
- Dr. Jo Lynne DeMary, former State Superintendent for Public Instruction
- The Honorable James W. Dyke, former Virginia Secretary of Education
- Dr. Martha Ross, professor emerita, James Madison University
- Brenda Sheridan, president of the Virginia Parent Teacher Association
- Karen Drosinos, Pembroke Elementary School, Virginia Beach (2013 winner)
Eight teachers from across the state will be selected to receive the Virginia Lottery Super Teacher award.
Each of the eight winners will receive a $2,000 cash prize from the Virginia Lottery, and a $2,000 classroom supply credit from The Supply Room Companies.
Download the Official Rules (PDF).